For our newest edition of Recipes from the Hogwarts Kitchen, we are going to share with you a super-simple, frothy-and-delicious recipe for everyone’s favorite beverage: butterbeer.
Like the last recipe, this one uses ingredients that have no animal products in them, from the cream soda to the butter. Did you know that most cream sodas are acidentally vegan? Only a couple brands aren’t, but you can easily check the labels to ensure there is no milk or honey.
Makes about 4-6 servings, depending on the size of your glasses.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons vegan margarine (we recommend Earth Balance), cubed
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- one large bottle vegan cream soda or club soda, depending on how bad your sweet tooth is
- apple juice to taste
1. Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir consistently until the mixture reads 240F on a candy thermometer, or until it reaches an amber-like (but still liquid) consistency.
2. Remove the saucepan from the stove and mix in the vegan butter and vinegar. Set aside to cool.
3. To serve: pour 2-3tbsp of the butterscotch mixture into the bottom of each glass. Add in 2 parts cream soda and 1 part (or less) apple juice, and mix well. This drink can be served either hot or cold, so chill the glasses in the refrigerator if you want it cold, or use mugs instead of glasses and heat them up in the microwave to serve it warm.
And voila! You have a drink that would make Madam Rosmerta go vegan!
Inspired by recipes from Vegan Dad and Yummy Plants.